Thursday, May 31, 2007

Delara Darabi's father seeks the world's assistance in saving his daughter's life


My daughter, Delara Darabi is accused of a murder she did not commit. Her kind heart led her to accept another’s sin and sully herself in this case. I defend her not because she is my daughter, but because it is defending the truth and the justice that is absent here. I want to see justice prevail, and now, it has been years that my Delara is the victim of those who know nothing about humanity or injustice.


I condemn this treatment of my daughter. I invite everyone who wishes to do so to come and examine this case file and my daughter’s conduct. Let the Islamic human rights organizations come to investigate from Palestine, Lebanon, or any other place that they accept. Let them come to see what they have done with my 17 year old child. Every day, they subject her to a new form of abuse. It has been three years now that she has spent in jail, and now she is 20 years old. Until she was 17, she had not known anything in life other than blessings and kindness. She knows nothing other than pens, books, music, and painting.


Three years ago, when I learned of the incident, I personally turned my daughter in to the authorities and the law; to the very law and judicial system that I now feel, with all of my existence, knows no justice.


Today, my child’s life is in danger not only because she has been sentenced to death, but also because of the treatment that she receives in Rasht’s prison. My child has the right not to be tortured, she has the right to be treated in accordance with civil standards. Yet, here, not even basic rights are observed. She does not receive adequate nutrition. We pay her expenses. Yet, they do not allow us to visit her. Just today that I write this, I and her mother and sisters went to see her, but they found an excuse not to allow us to see her.


I say place my beloved child in a steel cage and keep the key, but do not allow her spirit to be tormented like this. Allow us to protect her ourselves. Allow us to take her notebooks, pens, books, and food, and allow her to paint. She only knows books, notebooks, pens, and art supplies.


In this country where we breathe, there is no sign of justice and I have experienced no justice. I ask those who respect humanity, those with an informed conscience, to help us free Delara. Delara is only one example of thousands who, like Delara, are imprisoned.


My daughter’s life is in danger in prison. Time and time again, I have written letters requesting adequate conditions and standards. I have received negative answers and I have been insulted. I have requested that my daughter be transferred to another prison. Yet they do not pay any credence to this small request. Delara says "in this prison, the acts of walking, eating, painting, speaking, and sleeping by me incite insults and unspeakable reactions. Here, there is one toilet for 200 people, and our objections to these conditions are answered with punishment." Are these conditions tolerable for a 20 year old girl?


We are not allowed to take her any food, and during our last visit with Delara, she refrained from kissing her mother, saying that the place is full of germs and she could not bring herself to expose us to the diseases that she may have contracted. Seeing these conditions and hearing the news of inhumane treatment of my daughter has left me without sleep at night.
I, Delara Darabi’s father, have wasted three years of my life. I have abandoned my life and livelihood so that I can work on her case in search of justice, rights, and defense of humanity. Please help me, and help us, in our search. For here, there is no sign of justice or humanity.


Please sign the petition to save Delara Darabi's life:





No comments: