Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Delara Darabi's lawyer files a plea to stop her execution

Yesterday, Delara's lawyer, Abdolsamad Khoramshahi filed a plea with Iran's head of judiciary, Ayatollah Hashemi Shahroudi, asking him to grant a stay of execution in Delara's case.

Apparently, these pleas have worked for some others in the past, including Kobra Rahmanpour. So we are hoping that the signatures on the petition, but more importantly the direct letters to the head of the judiciary, will continue to accumulate. We should put as much pressure on Shahroudi as possible so he respondes positively to Khoramshahi's plea.

If you guys have not already seen Delara's paintings, btw, I highly recommond them. Here is the link: http://www.savedelara.com/Delara_Paintings.html . It would be an absolute crime if this talented and gifted girl hangs. She has so much to offer this world. So let's make sure she goes on to live a productive and peaceful life.

2 comments:

*~mad munky~* said...

I came across her story in one of the London newspapers yesterday.

Her artwork is amazing, but I've heard that they've now taken away her tools? :o(

It's so sad...I've signed the petition and have asked my friends to do the same.

I hope she is saved.

Save DELARA DARABI! said...

They had taken away her tools, but after she tried to commit suicide, they have given her back her tools. After finding out that her gift and letters had had a positive impact on Delara's emotional health, Lily Mazahery, the human rights lawyer who is leading the international effort to save Delara, launched a world-wide effort to collect letters and gifts to Delara. From what I understand, those gifts included painting and drawing supplies, which were delievered to Delara a couple of months ago. The prison officials have been reported to have allowed her to use them. So she is painting and studying again.

However, Delara has a broken arm now, after being beaten in prison. I don't know which arm is broken. I know that she is left handed. So I hope they didn't break her painting arm. Poor girl. I can't imagine going through that when I was 17.